Alton Towers, Novelty Postcard

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1920 - 1930 (c.)

Description:This 'Moving Pictures' novelty postcard contains several views of Alton Towers, one of which, the "T" Room, is shown in the inset viewer on the left. The “T” Room forms part of a series of views that may be seen by turning a cogwheel on the right of the postcard.

Alton Towers was the home of the Talbot family, Earls of Shrewsbury. It was built between about 1810 and 1852.

The 15th Earl began adapting an existing 16th or 17th century house, Alveton (Alton) Lodge, in about 1810. A number of architects were involved, including Thomas Hopper, William Hollis and Thomas Allason. The new enlarged house was known as Alton Abbey by the 1820s.

The 16th Earl succeeded in 1827, and over the next 25 years greatly expanded the house which became known as Alton Towers. His architects included Thomas Fradgley of Uttoxeter, Joseph Potter and A.W.N. Pugin. After the Earl's death in 1852 a great sale of the contents took place in 1857.

The estate also boasted excellent gardens, which the next Earl began to capitalize on in the late 1860s. He hired John Mason Cook, the son of Thomas Cook who was responsible for creating the Victorian travel industry, to promote them and was overwhelmed by their early success. The first day excursion attracted 10,000 visitors.

The Chetwynd-Talbots lived at the house and partially refurnished it until they left in 1924, and another sale followed. A group of local businessmen bought it and developed it as a tourist attraction. During the Second World War, until 1951, it was occupied by the Army as an Officer Cadet Training Unit. In 1952 all the remaining fixtures and fittings were stripped and sold, leaving the house in a semi-derelict condition.

In 1990 the Tussauds Group purchased the house and grounds and began developing it into the hugely successful Adventure Theme Park it is now. Some of the interiors are gradually being restored.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1890s
Coach Service at Alton Towers
Coach Service at Alton Towers

The 20th Earl of Shrewsbury in the driving seat of his 'Greyhound' coach, in front ...

1910s
Ribbon Border, Alton Towers
Ribbon Border, Alton Towers

A postcard view of the Ribbon Border and gardens at Alton Towers, with the Towers ...

1950s
Chapel, Alton Towers
Chapel, Alton Towers

This postcard view was taken looking from the south-east. On the left is the Armoury ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:01_071r (214/36362)

Source: Mr Jake Whitehouse

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.