Locomotive on bridge, Tutbury

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail.

Date:1930 - 1935 (c.)

Description:Locomotive on the bridge on the narrow gauge line from the Tutbury plaster and cement works to Scropton Sidings.

This bridge and narrow gauge railway allowed J.C. Staton & Co to bring gypsum from their mine at Fauld to be processed to make plaster at Tutbury. It linked the cotton mill with Tutbury station and was built in about 1865-68. It was taken over by J.C. Staton & Co in 1890 and replaced by 1901. The bridge was closed in 1968.

The old cotton mill at Tutbury was adapted in 1890 by J.C. Staton & Co. to crush and grind locally mined gypsum to make plaster. It had a direct rail link to the North Staffordshire Railway branch line between Uttoxeter and Burton-upon-Trent. The mill closed in October 1968 and was demolished in 1972.

The locomotive was Built by W G Bagnall - supplied to J C Staton & Co. for use on their 3ft gauge Fauld Tramway (Tutbury, Staffordshire). Works number 1050 (Jan. 1889) - an 0-4-0IST with 6 x 9ins cylinders. 1050 was later passed on to the Mintlyn Quarry Tramway (Joseph Boam Ltd) at East Winch, near King's Lynn.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:PL05-E (172/22242)

Source: Tutbury Museum

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.