Cooperage, Joule's Brewery, Stone,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1950 - 1960 (c.)

Description:Joule's Brewery had its own cooperage where beer casks were made. The site is now the car park of the Crown and Anchor Inn. In this photograph barrels are being repaired.

Francis Joule came into possession of the White House Inn and brewhouse at Stone in 1758. Nine years later he demolished the inn and built a house, which later became the home of the head brewer. In 1780 he established a public brewery, to supply its own premises and other public houses. To expand production land was bought in the High Street.

Francis' son, John, took over the company in 1813 and the brewery was named John Joule and Son. In 1873 Joules was sold to three brewers from Liverpool - John Parrington, Thomas Harding and John Harding.

Joule's thrived throughout the second half of the nineteenth century. Local deliveries were made by dray and the company owned forty shire horses and twenty drays. The Trent and Mersey Canal which passed behind the Newcastle Street Ales Stores enabled transport to other parts of the country, and exports to America and Europe left from the docks of Liverpool and Hull respectively. Transport by barge eventually gave way to railway and from the 1920s drays were replaced by lorries.

Joule's was taken over by Bass Charrington in 1970, but production ceased four years later.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1900s
Granville Square, Stone,
Granville Square, Stone,

Granville Square was originally named Pump Square, but when the pump was removed ...

1910s
Peace Celebrations, Stone,
Peace Celebrations, Stone,

Peace Day on Granville Square. Peace Day celebrated the end of the First World ...

1950s
Coopers' Initiation Ceremony, Joule's Brewery, Stone
Coopers' Initiation Ceremony, Joule's Brewery, Stone

This ceremony was known as 'trussing the cooper'. The newly qualified cooper ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:P80.065.0001 (18/845)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.