Market Square, Stafford,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1940 - 1950 (c.)

Description:Stafford had held a weekly market since the Middle Ages. In 1853 a covered market opened behind the new Guildhall, but some stalls continued to trade from the Market Square.

In 1927 the Borough Council removed the remaining stalls and turned the square into a car park. The Jubilee Fountain was removed in 1934 to provide extra space for cars.

The car park remained until 1953 when it was replaced by flower beds to celebrate Queen Elizabeth II's Coronation.

On the left is Mummery's jewellers shop, on the corner of Market Square and Goalgate Street. The building was demolished in the late 1950s or early 1960s and replaced by a modern building, currently occupied by the Alliance and Leicester Building Society.

In the centre, built in lighter stone, is the National Provincial Bank, now Pizza Express. On the right is Lloyd's Bank, formerly Stafford Old Bank.

Photograph donated by Stafford Historical and Civic Society, who retain copyright ownership.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1680s
Old Town Hall, Stafford,
Old Town Hall, Stafford,

There has been a shire building in Stafford since the 1280s, used as a meeting place ...

1790s
Proposed Design for Stafford's Shire Hall,
Proposed Design for Stafford's Shire Hall,

Design for a new Shire Hall on Market Square. In 1790 a decision was made to ...

1840s
Market Square from the South, Stafford,
Market Square from the South, Stafford,

Stafford possessed a market as early as 1206, when Edward the Elder passed a law ...

1860s
Harry Bostock, Stafford,
Harry Bostock, Stafford,

1880s
Elizabethan House, Stafford,
Elizabethan House, Stafford,

The Elizabethan House was built on Gaolgate Street in the late Tudor period. The ...

1900s
General Booth and Mayor William Marson, Stafford,
General Booth and Mayor William Marson, Stafford,

William Booth (1829 - 1912), known as 'General Booth', founded the Christian Mission ...

1920s
Christening a New Fire Engine, Stafford
Christening a New Fire Engine, Stafford

Mayor William Thomas Richardson and Mayoress Emily Richardson of Stafford christening ...

1940s
Old Bank Building, Stafford,
Old Bank Building, Stafford,

One of the first banks to open outside London was Stevenson, Salt and Co. in 1737. ...

1960s
Aerial View of Stafford from the South-east,
Aerial View of Stafford from the South-east,

View looking north-west from over South Walls and Eastgate Street. The River ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: Staffordshire County Records Office

Donor ref:County Record Office No., D4080/16/30, img: 155 (18/716)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.