Demolition of the Gate-house, Stafford Gaol,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1952

Description:The prison gate-house was demolished in 1952 in order to widen Gaol Road.

The new gate-house, seen on the left, was built by the prisoners before the old one was destroyed.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1860s
George Smith, Hangman,
George Smith, Hangman,

George Smith was a hangman from Dudley. He is seen here in his working outfit of ...

1890s
Staff at Rowland's Bakery, Stafford
Staff at Rowland's Bakery, Stafford

Studio portrait of staff from Rowland's bakery. Rowland's were a well-known family ...

1950s
Stafford Prison and Gaol Road
Stafford Prison and Gaol Road

The outer wall and twin towers of Stafford Gaol, which were demolished in 1952 in ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:P97.004.0320 (18/700)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.