A view of the Armoury, Whittington Barracks, Lichfield

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1900 - 1914 (c.)

Description:Whittington Barracks was built on land purchased from the Marquess of Anglesey. Building was completed in 1880, providing accommodation for the Depots of the South and the North Staffordshire Regiments and for their Militia (similar to the Territorial Army) Battalions. It was latter extended to house also the Regular Army battalions of other regiments.

With changes in role and reductions in the Army since 1945, it is now the Training Regiment for the recruits of the Royal Engineers and the Royal Corps of Signals. Only the small Regimental Headquarters of the Staffordshire Regiment and its Museum represent the County connection.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1870s
Officers group at Whittington Barracks, nr Lichfield
Officers group at Whittington Barracks, nr Lichfield

1890s
1st Battalion South Staffords, Whittington Barracks
1st Battalion South Staffords, Whittington Barracks

1910s
German propeller blade recovered in Hartlepool
German propeller blade recovered in Hartlepool

This photograph shows the propeller blade from the German airship which was brought ...

1930s
Dedication Ceremony at the Depot of the North Stafford Regiment, Whittington Barracks
Dedication Ceremony at the Depot of the North Stafford Regiment, Whittington Barracks

Related themes:

Barracks & Camps Barracks
View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:(31/6112)

Source: Staffordshire Regiment Museum

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.