Aethelflaeda Monument, Tamworth Castle

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1974

Description:The Aethelflaeda Monument, of Aethelflaeda and her nephew Athelstan, was built for Tamworth's Millenary Celebrations of 1913. The Millenary marked the 1000th anniversary of when Aethelflaeda, the Lady of the Mercians, freed Tamworth from the Danes and fortified the town.

Aethelflaeda was the eldest daughter of Alfred the Great and became known as the Lady of the Mercians after the death of her husband, Aethelred, in 910. Aethelflaeda became the ruler of the Mercians, planning and leading expeditions personally, against the Vikings.

The monument is seen here in situ in the grounds of Tamworth Castle, opposite Holloway Lodge, where it remained in 2002.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1790s
A watercolour of Tamworth Castle
A watercolour of Tamworth Castle

This watercolour of Tamworth Castle was exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1799 by ...

1880s
Drawing Room, Tamworth Castle
Drawing Room, Tamworth Castle

This photograph shows the interior of Tamworth Castle's State Withdrawing Room, ...

1900s
Second Contingent Tamworth Volunteers, Tamworth Castle Courtyard
Second Contingent Tamworth Volunteers, Tamworth Castle Courtyard

The Second Contingent of Tamworth Volunteers, who served in the South African War ...

1930s
Hickson Bros 'Gilford' coach, Holloway, Lady Bank, Tamworth
Hickson Bros 'Gilford' coach, Holloway, Lady Bank, Tamworth

Built by the Gilford Motor Company, High Wycombe, this coach was a 6 cylinder petrol ...

1960s
Town Clerk Henry Wood receiving the Freedom of the Borough, Great Hall, Tamworth Castle
Town Clerk Henry Wood receiving the Freedom of the Borough, Great Hall, Tamworth Castle

Retiring Town Clerk Henry Wood (standing) pictured here receiving the Freedom of ...

1980s
Jacobean porch and courtyard, Tamworth Castle
Jacobean porch and courtyard, Tamworth Castle

The coat of arms of the Ferrers family is seen carved in stone above the main doorway ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:[253] (29/5768)

Source: Tamworth Castle Museum

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.