Jacobean porch and courtyard, Tamworth Castle

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1988

Description:The coat of arms of the Ferrers family is seen carved in stone above the main doorway of the castle. The family lived in the castle between about 1688 and 1751.

Tamworth's Norman motte and bailey castle has over 900 years of history. From about 1101 to 1291 it was one of many homes to the Marmion family, hereditary Royal Champions to the English Kings. As a result, the castle hosted many royal visits from different Kings including, Henry II, joined by Thomas à Becket, and James I. The castle then passed through a number of owners until 1751 when the Townshend family took ownership. Mr John Robins purchased the castle in 1814, though he did not gain actual possession until 1821. On his death family disputes meant the castle was sold again and ultimately came back into the Townshend family. The Castle was opened to the public in 1899, after being bought at auction by Tamworth Corporation for £3,000 from the Marquis Townshend in 1897.

The Castle was changed at various times and includes Tudor and Jacobean buildings, and a Medieval Banqueting Hall. The shell keep and fine herringbone wall, all that survives of the curtain wall, date back to the 12th Century.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1790s
A watercolour of Tamworth Castle
A watercolour of Tamworth Castle

This watercolour of Tamworth Castle was exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1799 by ...

1880s
Drawing Room, Tamworth Castle
Drawing Room, Tamworth Castle

This photograph shows the interior of Tamworth Castle's State Withdrawing Room, ...

1890s
Tamworth Borough Council at Tamworth Castle
Tamworth Borough Council at Tamworth Castle

Tamworth Borough Council outside Tamworth Castle. On the front row are, from left ...

1920s
St. John Ambulance, Tamworth Castle
St. John Ambulance, Tamworth Castle

1930s
Hitler youth at Tamworth Castle
Hitler youth at Tamworth Castle

Tamworth scouts with the Hitler Youth at Tamworth Castle, pictured on the upper ...

1960s
Town Clerk Henry Wood receiving the Freedom of the Borough, Great Hall, Tamworth Castle
Town Clerk Henry Wood receiving the Freedom of the Borough, Great Hall, Tamworth Castle

Retiring Town Clerk Henry Wood (standing) pictured here receiving the Freedom of ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:[6223] (29/5563)

Source: Tamworth Castle Museum

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.