Jacobean porch and courtyard, Tamworth Castle

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1988

Description:The coat of arms of the Ferrers family is seen carved in stone above the main doorway of the castle. The family lived in the castle between about 1688 and 1751.

Tamworth's Norman motte and bailey castle has over 900 years of history. From about 1101 to 1291 it was one of many homes to the Marmion family, hereditary Royal Champions to the English Kings. As a result, the castle hosted many royal visits from different Kings including, Henry II, joined by Thomas à Becket, and James I. The castle then passed through a number of owners until 1751 when the Townshend family took ownership. Mr John Robins purchased the castle in 1814, though he did not gain actual possession until 1821. On his death family disputes meant the castle was sold again and ultimately came back into the Townshend family. The Castle was opened to the public in 1899, after being bought at auction by Tamworth Corporation for £3,000 from the Marquis Townshend in 1897.

The Castle was changed at various times and includes Tudor and Jacobean buildings, and a Medieval Banqueting Hall. The shell keep and fine herringbone wall, all that survives of the curtain wall, date back to the 12th Century.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1790s
A watercolour of Tamworth Castle
A watercolour of Tamworth Castle

This watercolour of Tamworth Castle was exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1799 by ...

1880s
Drawing Room, Tamworth Castle
Drawing Room, Tamworth Castle

This photograph shows the interior of Tamworth Castle's State Withdrawing Room, ...

1900s
Fire Brigade at Tamworth Castle
Fire Brigade at Tamworth Castle

Tamworth Volunteer Fire Brigade on parade outside Tamworth Castle. They are seen ...

1920s
St. John Ambulance, Tamworth Castle
St. John Ambulance, Tamworth Castle

1950s
Tamworth Castle
Tamworth Castle

Tamworth Castle with Holloway Lodge in the foreground. Tamworth's Norman motte and ...

1970s
Aethelflaeda Monument, Tamworth Castle
Aethelflaeda Monument, Tamworth Castle

The Aethelflaeda Monument, of Aethelflaeda and her nephew Athelstan, was built ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:[6223] (29/5563)

Source: Tamworth Castle Museum

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.