Ye Olde Mill Cafe, Alton

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1954 - 1956 (c.)

Description:The mill building was turned into a cafe some time after the mill closed c1932. The premises was also used as a petrol station for many years, which meant it was a convenient stop-off place for visitors to Alton Towers.
Alton Mill was originally one of three working mills within Alton and Farley. It operated from the late 12th century until 1708 as a corn mill belonging to Croxden Abbey, after which time it was bought by the Earl of Shrewsbury. The mill was then sub-let between 1734-1828 to Thomas Patten and partners, who made brass wire and "Golden Guineas" (brass coins used in the slave trade). During the period c1841-1867 a paper manufacturer was proprietor of the mill, and after this time it was used variously by a building contractor, wheelwright, and stone and timber merchant, before it was sold in 1932. In the distance on top of the hill is Alton Castle, which was re-built for the sixteenth Earl of Shrewsbury in the 19th century to a design by the reknowned architect Pugin.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: F. Frith & Co. Ltd. - Creator

Donor ref:FF14 (28/5430)

Source: Leek Library

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.