Alton Castle

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1954 - 1956 (c.)

Description:The first castle, a medieval structure was built by Bertram de Verdun in 1175. Part of one of the towers remains in the forecourt of the later nineteenth century building. The sixteenth Earl of Shrewsbury commissioned Pugin to design the current castle. It was begun in 1847, and when finished shortly before the earl's death in 1852 it was a hugely impressive sight, standing four storeys high with three towers and a chapel. The chapel is by far the centrepiece of the building, with its roof of coloured tiles, inspired by Continental design, and its polygonal apse. In close proximity to the castle is the Hospital of St. John, another Pugin commission, begun several years earlier. Of the many projects that Pugin was responsible for, this hospital and St. Giles R.C. Church in Cheadle were the two that he was most proud of.
When this photograph was taken, the castle was being used as a Catholic preparatory boys' school.

Related themes:

Castles & Moats
View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: F. Frith & Co. Ltd. - Creator

Donor ref:FF9 (28/5413)

Source: Leek Library

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.