Unveiling of the Nicholson War Memorial, Leek

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:20th of August 1925

Description:The memorial tablet has just been unveiled from behind the Union Jack by Lieutenant General Sir Charles Harrington, GBE, KCB, DSO (GOC Northern Command), and dedicated by the Bishop of Stafford. Sir Arthur Nicholson (with the white moustache) and his wife Lady Nicholson presented the memorial to the town in memory of their son Lieutenant Basil Lee Nicholson and all other local men who died fighting in the First World War. The architects Thomas Worthington & Sons of Manchester designed the 90 feet high memorial, which was built from Portland Stone.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:LP-2-3a (28/5388)

Source: Leek Library

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.