Market Place, Leek

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1945 - 1960 (c.)

Description:A typical view of the Market Place covered with stalls on a Wednesday. On the right-hand side you can see The Butter Market, built in 1897 to commemorate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee. Further up is the Red Lion, and the building which backs onto Stockwell Street is the former Cock Inn, part of which was the premises of Micah Harding. The old inn has since been knocked down and in its place stands the building which houses the Tourist Information Centre. On the left-hand side of the Market Place (behind the street lamp) is "Deebank House", housing T.H. Booth's leather factors shop and works. This building was used to hide Bonnie Prince Charlie's men during the 1715 Jacobite Rebellion. Looking straight ahead onto Stockwell Street, Foxlowe is in the centre, once the home of The Crusos and latterly the headquarters of the Amalgamated Society of Textile Workers & Kindred Trades and Leek Labour Party, while to the left are Curtis's shop and the Stockwell Stores.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1700s
Portrait of Sir Thomas Parker, Leek
Portrait of Sir Thomas Parker, Leek

Thomas Parker was born at No.2 Church Street, Leek on 23rd July 1666. He was a lawyer ...

1850s
Portrait of the  Pickford family, Leek
Portrait of the Pickford family, Leek

1880s
Portrait of Master Edward Challinor, Leek
Portrait of Master Edward Challinor, Leek

1910s
Local Dignitaries at the Proclamation of King George V, Town Hall, Market Place, Leek
Local Dignitaries at the Proclamation of King George V, Town Hall, Market Place, Leek

Members of the Leek Urban District Council and other local dignitaries stand outside ...

1950s
Leek & Moorlands Building Society, Leek
Leek & Moorlands Building Society, Leek

The Society was first established permanently in May 1856 by William and James Challinor, ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:LP-2-12h (28/5202)

Source: Leek Library

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.