Old Stafford Society visit to the Devil's Ring and Finger, Mucklestone

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.


Description:The Old Stafford Society was a local history group, founded in 1925. They organised many visits to places of historical interest.

Philip Dale poses for the photographer by these two ancient standing stones, known as the Devil’s Ring and Finger. They are probably Neolithic in origin, and may have formed part of a megalithic chambered tomb. They are both about 6 feet (1.8m) tall, and have been built into a wall on the edge of the Oakley Hall estate, near Mucklestone. They are not in their original position.

Photograph donated by Stafford Historical and Civic Society, who retain copyright ownership. Photographer: C.E.Fowke of Stafford.

View Location


Link to this resource

Donor ref:D4080-12 Devil's Ring and Finger (2) (201/46146)

Source: Staffordshire County Record Office

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.