Edgmond Girls' Home, Shropshire

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1906 - 1907 (c.)

Description:Edgmond Certified Girls' Home was opened by the Bishop of Shrewsbury on 8 January 1898. It was built on the road between Newport and Edgmond and was paid for by Miss Mary Roddam of nearby Summerhill. the home had room for 20 girls aged 6 to 12 who were from the workhouse or who were living in very poor circumstances. They attended the village school. The home closed in the 1920s and is now a private house, Moorfield, at 79 Newport Road.

Each of the girls is holding a toy, including dolls, a skipping rope and a hoop.

Photographer: Harry Osbourne of Woodseaves.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:P92.002.0008 (11/45761)

Source: Staffordshire Arts & Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.