Staffordshire County Council annual meeting, Stafford

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:26th of April 1952

Description:Pictured in the County Buildings Council Chamber in Stafford, are County Administrators. Alderman Lewis Davies, had been elected Chairman for a fourth year, and presided at the annual meeting of the Staffordshire County Council on Saturday 26 April. It was the first meeting since the triennial elections and about 20 new members took their seats.

This photograph was published in the Staffordshire Newsletter on Saturday 3 May 1952. Reproduced by kind permission of the Staffordshire Newsletter who retain copyright.

Additional information: The County Buildings opened in Martin Street on 29 October 1895. Previously councillors had used the facilities in the Borough Hall and the Shire Hall.

A competition was organised to find an architect, in which the Council requested 'good, thoroughly business-like offices'. The winning design was by Henry Thomas Hare, who was awarded £150. The building itself was constructed by Henry Lovatt of Wolverhampton and took two years to build.

In the Council Chamber the semi-circular seating was designed to avoid party conflict, and press reporters were granted a table in the centre, so they could better hear the proceedings. The press table itself was presented by the 3rd Lord Harrowby, the first Council Chairman. The original layout is retained to this day. The Council Chamber also featured an early air conditioning system, still in working order. The domed roof was designed for acoustics and ventilation. Around the chamber are four relief panels by Frederick Schenck. These depict the main Staffordshire industries of the time - pottery, ironwork, mining and agriculture.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1790s
Performance Advertisement, New Stafford Theatre
Performance Advertisement, New Stafford Theatre

Advertisement for two plays preformed in the fist year of the New Stafford Theatre ...

1820s
Calendar of Prisoners at Quarter Sessions, Stafford
Calendar of Prisoners at Quarter Sessions, Stafford

The courts of Quarter Sessions were established in 1362 and sat for over 600 years ...

1910s
Thomas Jackson, Public Library, Stafford
Thomas Jackson, Public Library, Stafford

Thomas Jackson with outside the entrance to the Free Public Library on the ground ...

1930s
Pageant of Transport exhibition, Stafford
Pageant of Transport exhibition, Stafford

Visitors in a Russian Sleigh lent by the Earl of Shrewsbury as part of the 'Pageant ...

1960s
Shrewsbury Arms, Eastgate Street, Stafford
Shrewsbury Arms, Eastgate Street, Stafford

The Shrewsbury Arms at 75 Eastgate Street, on the corner of Pitcher Bank, advertising ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Staffordshire Newsletter - Creator

Donor ref:D4527-B6-NN-785 (201/45495)

Source: Staffordshire County Record Office

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.