Crispin Inn Flower and Horticultural Show, Stafford

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:14th of August 1954 - 15th of August 1954 (c.)

Description:Pictured is ten year old Ann Minshall, daughter of the show committee Chairman, Mr H Minshall, as she presents a bouquet to the Mayoress of Stafford, Mrs C Jones at the Crispin Inn Flower and Horticultural Show. On the left are Councillor E G Morgan, Alderman L Dobson and the Mayor, Councillor C Jones, who opened two day show on Saturday 14 August at 6.00 pm.

This was the third annual Flower and Horticultural show held in the grounds of the Crispin Inn, with well over 400 entries, a 50 percent increase on the previous best for the show. There were 49 classes which included: vegetables, flowers, fruit, cookery and handicrafts with knitting and embroidery. The proceeds from the show, organised by the Crispin Inn Sports and Social Club were donated to charities nominated by the Committee. Local charities benefitted mainly, but national causes were also supported including the King George VI Memorial Fund and the East Coast Flood Disaster Fund.

The main award a ”Smallholder” blue ribbon for the best exhibit was won by Mr A Clay with his class winning vase of flowers. The “Smallholder” certificate of merit and a special prize for the best entry in the vegetable section went to Mr E Hodgkinson. A special prize for the best vase or bowl of mixed flowers was awarded to Mr J B Cooke and a display of three roses gained Mr J Houghton a special prize and an “Amateur Gardening” diploma. Miss L Reynolds won the bronze medal for the best cookery exhibit and the special children’s prize went Miss P Freeman for her work on a model house garden.

The Crispin was located on the Stone Road, A34 in Stafford. In later years it became the ‘Panache’ Indian Restaurant. During 2015-2016 the building was demolished and the site redeveloped. Crispin Court, a carehome complex opened on the site in July 2016.

This photograph was published in the Staffordshire Newsletter on Saturday 21 August 1954. Reproduced by kind permission of the Staffordshire Newsletter who retain copyright.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Staffordshire Newsletter - Creator

Donor ref:D4527-A7-878 (201/45480)

Source: Staffordshire County Record Office

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.