Bon Marche, Tean

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1910

Description:Pictured are members of the Johnson family outside the Bon Marche General Stores on the corner of Hollington Road and Uttoxeter Road in Upper Tean. With Frances Verian Johnson (then aged 52) are her daughters Lucy Verian (26), Gertrude Beatrice (23), Fanny Lydia (19), Eleanor Maud (9) and son John Henry (17).

In about 1905 the Bon Marche shop was bought by William Henry Johnson, who had previously worked in the Tape Mill. At the same time he acquired the Quiet Woman public house, which was part of the tall building next door in Hollington Road, and closed it. The shop was a general store, one of several in the village. W.H. Johnson's daughter Beatrice worked here, and after her marriage to Joseph Charles Farmer she and her husband took it iover in 1914, paying rent to her father. When they retired in 1936, Beatrice's brother took over the shop.

In 1986, Bon Marche, by then an off-licence, was partly demolished by a lorry. The remaining part of the building then remained derelict for several years, before restoration work began to rebuild the shop as a dwelling.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:Bon Marche Tean Jan 13 1910 (239/45430)

Source: Mr John Shore ,  John Shore

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.