Stafford Street, Eccleshall

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1982

Description:On the left is the King's Arms which was originally named The Unicorn. Its neo-Elizabethan timber framed facade covers the original Elizabethan structure. In the centre is William Perry’s Master Butcher and Game Dealers shop.

The King's Arms, like the Royal Oak on the High Street, was a coaching inn on the London to Chester road. With the advent of the railways, like other coaching inns, the King's Arms went into decline. By 1841 the inn was used as a collection point for excise duties, and was later the official Inland Revenue Office, until 1900 when separate premises were opened.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1890s
Bowls Club, Eccleshall
Bowls Club, Eccleshall

The bowling green was located at the rear of the Royal Oak Inn on High Street.

1930s
Bill Perry, boxer, Eccleshall
Bill Perry, boxer, Eccleshall

William Albert 'Bill' Perry was a master butcher and a leading amateur boxer in ...

1970s
Greaves' butchers shop, Eccleshall
Greaves' butchers shop, Eccleshall

Eccleshall Charities Committee stall standing outside Stanley Greaves' butchers ...

1990s
Co-operative supermarket, Stafford Street, Eccleshall
Co-operative supermarket, Stafford Street, Eccleshall

The new Midlands Co-op supermarket under construction on Stafford Street, Eccleshall....

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: Mr Pat Trevor

Donor ref:PT-084 (194/45040)

Source: Mr Pat Trevor

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.