Jolley Shop, Taylor Tunnicliff and Co Ltd, Stone

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1930

Description:The Jolley Shop at Taylor, Tunnicliff's Stone factory. The terms jolleying and jiggering are often used to describe the same thing. Jolleying is the older of the two terms and has regularly been used to describe any pottery making using rotating moulds and profile tools. However, large sections of the pottery industry have made distinctions between the two terms. These seem dependent on whether hollow or flat ware is being made: jolleying is where the profile tool forms the using side of the ware, such as the inner surface of a cup; jiggering is where the mould forms the using side of the ware, such as the upper surface of plates and saucers.

The firm was founded in 1867 by Thomas Taylor and William Tunnicliff, eventually concentrating on making specialised pottery for the electrical industry. Having outgrown its first small factory in Shelton, the company moved to Eastwood, Hanley. To meet demand additional factories were added at Longton and, in 1922 on the former racecourse site off Whitebridge Lane, Stone. In 1971 the Eastwood factory closed and Taylor Tunnicliff and Bullers Ltd of Milton amalgamated to form Allied Insulators. The Stone factory closed in 1985 and the site became the Whitebridge Lane Industrial Estate.

Share:


Image courtesy of: Mr Phillip Leason

Donor ref:PL-Taylor Tunnicliff (2) (55/43862)

Source: Miscellaneous Collection

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.