Mill Wheels, Mill Bank, Stafford

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.


Description:A postcard view by Mill Bank, Stafford, of the mill Wheels from the town mill which was built by George Brewster in 1834, on the site of the medieval town mill. It was powered by two wheels, fed from the mill pool by a culvert running under the road.

The mill was demolished in 1957 and the land became part of Victoria Park; the mill wheels, seen here, are still preserved where they stood.

In the background is the former Fire Station which relocated from Mill Bank around 1971 to Lammascote Road, on the site now occupied by Asda. Centre left in the background is the tower of St. Mary’s Church.

This postcard was purchased at Littleworth Post Office, Weston Road, Stafford, on 30 December 1986. It was published by Alec Bates, Lichfield, Staffordshire Ways Series.