Burton Library, Union Street, Burton-upon-Trent

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:7th of November 1932 - 12th of November 1932 (c.)

Description:Boys pictured in the Junior section of Burton Library on Union Street during Boys and Girls Book Week, 7 - 12 November 1932.

In 1876 the Mechanics’ Institute and the Burton Literary Society were amalgamated as the Burton Institute. This moved to new premises in Union Street in 1879. The institute occupied the ground floor with a library and a reading room. The second floor was occupied by the School of Art and part of the third floor by the School of Science. In 1896 the premises were acquired by Burton Municipal Corporation for use as Burton’s first Free Library, available to everyone. By the 1970s, the Union Street building was far too cramped for its purpose and the new purpose-built Burton Library opened in 1976 at Riverside, off High Street on the redundant Bass Maltings site. The Union Street building was demolished the following year.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:BurtonLib_064 (187/40496)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.