The Forum, Market Hall Street, Cannock

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1970

Description:The tall white building was known as The Forum at the time of this photograph. It was built in 1912 and was originally the Hippodrome Theatre, managed by Benjamin Kennedy and hosting film shows and variety acts. The stage was 40 feet deep and there were four dressing rooms. In February 1932 it was renamed Forum Cinema and the stage facilities were used once a year by the Cannock Amateur Operatic Society.

The Forum Cinema was closed on 11th September 1955 and was converted into a dance hall which operated for several years. In 1961 it was taken over by Cannock Chase District Council and they operated the building as a live theatre until 1984, when the Prince of Wales Theatre opened. It was demolished in 1985 and is now the site of the Forum shopping centre.

On the left is the Continental hairdressing salon, proprietor L. Hopkins.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1900s
Market Place, Cannock
Market Place, Cannock

A busy scene in the Market Place, Cannock. In the background to the right is the ...

1930s
Market Place, Cannock
Market Place, Cannock

Midland buses waiting in the Market Place, Cannock.

1950s
Market Place, Cannock
Market Place, Cannock

A view of Market Place, Cannock looking towards High Green. The Crown Hotel, demolished ...

1970s
Market Place, Cannock
Market Place, Cannock

View of Cannock's Market Place with the Market Hall (demolished in 1975) to the ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:Cannock Library old cannock slides GB49 (52/40067)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.