Advertisement for Frederick H. Burgess, Eccleshall

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1910 - 1920 (c.)

Description:Advertising leaflet for Frederick H. Burgess, agricultural and horticultural ironmonger, of Stafford Street, Eccleshall.
Printed by E.J. Hurlstone of Eccleshall.

Frederick H. Burgess founded his ironmongers and agricultural implement business in Eccleshall in 1900. The business was a success and by 1912 the headquarters had moved to Stafford, with branches in Newcastle-under-Lyme, Wolverhampton and Newport, as well as in Eccleshall. In 1934 F.H. Burgess died and the company was taken over by his sons H.F. and W.D. Burgess. The following year saw a new branch open in Lichfield and amalgamation with its chief competitor: Woodings, who were dealers for Massey-Harris. Further acquisitions followed and by 1942 Frederick H. Burgess Ltd was the biggest agricultural machinery dealer in the West Midlands and north west, with branches in Ormskirk, Northwich, Liverpool, Warrington, St. Helens, Worcester, Hereford, Leominster, Bromyard and Tenbury. By this time it employed 1,180 staff and a had a fleet of 350 service vehicles.

In 2003 the Eccleshall store closed and moved to Ladfordfields Industrial Estate at Great Bridgeford. In 2008 Burgess Agricultural Engineers Ltd went into administration, and the final seven branches closed: these were in Shrewsbury, Chester, Nantwich, Llangefni, Denbigh, Leek and Barton-under-Needwood.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1890s
Bowls Club, Eccleshall
Bowls Club, Eccleshall

The bowling green was located at the rear of the Royal Oak Inn on High Street.

1930s
Burgess' ironmonger's shop, Stafford Street, Eccleshall
Burgess' ironmonger's shop, Stafford Street, Eccleshall

F.H. Burgess's first shop in Eccleshall, which opened in 1900 on Stafford Street. ...

1950s
The George Inn, Eccleshall
The George Inn, Eccleshall

The George Inn (formerly the George and Dragon) and Hotel on Castle Street. This ...

1980s
High Street, Eccleshall
High Street, Eccleshall

This picture was taken looking along the north side of the High Street in Eccleshall. ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:(194/39429)

Source: Mr Pat Trevor

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.