Horsefair and Upper Brook Street, Rugeley

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1902 - 1904 (c.)

Description:A colour-tinted postcard view looking from the Hednesford Road (Sandy Lane) with Horsefair to the right and Upper Brook Street ahead. The timber-framed thatched cottage on the left was demolished in 1912. Beyond it is the Globe Inn (built 1888), which still stands but is now occupied by an estate agents' shop. In the middle of the road are a street lamp and a young tree surrounded by protective fencing. This was the Jubilee Oak, planted on 22nd June 1897 by Cllr C. Brook, Chairman of Rugeley Urban District Council to commemorate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee.
The wide gravelled area in the foreground was the location of the roundabouts and stalls at fair time.

Postcard published by M.S.O.B.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1890s
Sandy Lane, Rugeley
Sandy Lane, Rugeley

A view of Sandy Lane, also known as Hednesford Road, showing the old thatched cottages ...

1910s
Horsefair and Upper Brook Street, Rugeley
Horsefair and Upper Brook Street, Rugeley

A fine postcard view of Rugeley at the junction of Horsefair (right), Elmore Lane ...

1950s
Horsefair, Rugeley
Horsefair, Rugeley

A postcard view of Horsefair, Rugeley, looking towards the railway arches. Note ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:07_031r (221/37084)

Source: Mr Jake Whitehouse

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.