Armitage Lodge, Armitage

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1930 - 1940 (c.)

Description:Armitage Lodge was built in the first decades of the 19th century. Throughout its existence the grounds were made available for fetes and garden parties for local people.

During most of the 19th century it was the home of the families of solicitor Thomas Birch (died 1837) and his son, also a solicitor, Thomas John Birch (1808-1895). On his death it became the home of Rev. Edward Samson, who was Vicar of Pipe Ridware until 1900 when he became Vicar of Brereton. Rev. Samson died in 1921 and the house was first acquired by Mrs Fowler Butler and then by R.E. Moore, Esq. In 1931 it was purchased by Cuthbert Bailey, Managing Director of Doulton, pottery manufacturers. The family sold the house and its estate in September 1951. In its latter years it was subdivided into flats and apartments for rent. Armitage Lodge was demolished in the 1990s.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Miss Dorothy Roberts - Contributor

Donor ref:BM-DR-155 (192/35621)

Source: Mr Bob Metcalfe

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.