Aerial View of Evode Chemical Works Ltd., Stafford

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1960 - 1970 (c.)

Description:Aerial view of the Common Road site.

Spic and Span Shoe Polishes Ltd. was established in Glover Street on 3 June 1932. The company was partly owned by Lotus Ltd., the shoe manufacturers.

In 1938 the company, under the directorship of Dr Hermann Simon, began to manufacture adhesives and sealant, and was renamed Spic and Span Chemical Products Ltd. Later in the same year the name was changed again to Dove Chemical Products Ltd., because the Dove brand of polish was the company's best known product. However, the name infringed the trade mark rights of another company, so the name was reverse to become Evode.

During the Second World War Dr. Simon, as a German National, was interned. The factory was forced to move to a derelict shoe factory on Stone Road. Dr. Simon was released after nine months, and he returned to the company to supply the government with sealants, paints and waterproofing compounds to aid the war effort.

Evode moved to these new premises in Common Road in 1954.

In 1993 the company was sold to Laporte plc, and in 1996 was taken over by Elf Atochem, a subsidiary of the French company Elf Aquitaine.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: Staffordshire County Records Office

Donor ref:County Record Office No., D5189/1/14/4/18, img: 31 (18/3449)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.