Military Hospital Staff, Newcastle Under Lyme

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1916

Description:Staff outside the Military Hospital Nurses' Home on Newcastle Road, Newcastle-under-Lyme.

During the First World War Stoke-upon-Trent Union Workhouse temporarily became a Military Hospital. After the War it reverted to being a workhouse until 1930, when it was renamed Stoke Public Assistance Institution. On the introduction of the National Health Service in 1948 it became Stoke City General Hospital. It later merged with the North Staffordshire Royal Infirmary (formerly the Voluntary Hospital) and Hartshill Orthopaedic Hospital to become North Staffordshire (City General) Hospital. Since 2014 it has been managed by University Hospitals of North Midlands NHS Trust and has been renamed Royal Stoke University Hospital.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: William Salt Library

Donor ref:Topog: NEWCASTLE 8A (201/33316)

Source: Staffordshire County Record Office

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.