Granville Square, Stone,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1900 - 1910 (c.)

Description:Granville Square was originally named Pump Square, but when the pump was removed the square was renamed after Earl Granville of Stonepark. Trees were planted to commemorate the coronation of Edward VII in 1901.

In the centre is the Pirehill and Meaford Savings Bank, established in 1818. The building was erected in 1858.

To the left of the bank is the Granville Temperance and Commercial Hotel, now demolished. The post office now stands on this site.

The red brick building is Bab's drapers shop, and the second building from the right is the District Bank.


The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

Granville Square, Stone,
Granville Square, Stone,

Granville Square was originally named Pump Square, but when the pump was removed ...

Stone War Memorial,
Stone War Memorial,

The Stone War Memorial on Granville Square was unveiled on 10 January 1921 by Lord ...

Cooperage, Joule's Brewery, Stone,
Cooperage, Joule's Brewery, Stone,

Joule's Brewery had its own cooperage where beer casks were made. The site is now ...

Last Sitting of the Stone Bench of Magistrates,
Last Sitting of the Stone Bench of Magistrates,

The last sitting of the Stone Bench of Magistrates before being amalgamated into ...

View Location


Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: Brampton Museum & Art Gallery, Newcastle-under-Lyme

Donor ref:Borough Museum No., Ref/Lic/1/P48/155, img: 2956 (18/3327)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.