Rifle training

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1916 - 1918 (c.)

Description:During the First World War two military camps were built on the Chase - Brocton Camp, which was located near to Anson's Bank, and Rugeley Camp which extended along Penkridge Bank. The two camps were separated by the Sherbrook Valley. The Chase had been used as a military training ground since the 1870s.

Brocton Camp provided troops with canteen facilities, a bank, post office, shops and even a theatre. A standard gauge railway built by West Cannock Colliery Company, carried food and other supplies around the camp to the troops who were stationed there. Soldiers who died, through wounds received in France, accidents or illness, were buried in the military cemetery to the south of the camp. Many died during the influenza epidemic of 1918.

After the war the soldiers left and the huts were sold. In the 1930s gravel workings covered large areas of the site, but today some traces of the camp still exist.

The alternate image shows a digitally colourised version of the image.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:(215/33266)

Source: Mr Jake Whitehouse

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.