Retirement of Mr C H Shardlow at The English Electric Co. Ltd., Stafford

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.


Description:Left to right: Mr J R Sully, General Manager of Stafford and Kidsgrove Works is pictured presenting a retirement gift and certificate to Mr C H (Charlie) Shardlow after 50 years’ service with the company.

Mr Shardlow lived in Stone and during his employment with the company he had been the Senior Shop Steward for around 38 years at the Stafford Works. He was also involved with several committees including being Chairman of the benevolent committee, chairman of the national savings committee, member of the accident prevention committee, member of the suggestions committee, chairman of the English Electric Appeals committee, member of the English Electric Hospital committee, Works representative on the Staffordshire General Infirmary committee and chairman of the 40 club. The 40 club which was formed in 1958 involved an annual dinner and the Club’s purpose was to have somewhere to meet, to talk about old times and to help members in retirement.

The Stafford factory was renowned for its electrical products including generators, transformers and switchgear. Siemens Brothers purchased the land in 1901 and built the factory and offices which were ready to start production in 1903. In 1918 Siemens merged with several companies, including Dick, Kerr and Co., to become the English Electric Co. Two years later in 1920, The English Electric Co bought the Stafford Works. The English Electric Co merged with GEC (The General Electric Company) during 1968 and the Lichfield Road Site became part of GEC Power Engineering Ltd. On 22 March 1989 became part of GEC ALSTHOM, an Anglo French Joint Venture. On 22 June 1998 became part of ALSTOM with global HQ in Paris and on 2 November 2015 the Stafford Grid and Power Businesses became part of GE (General Electric, an American Company).


The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

Test House staff at Siemens Bros. factory, Stafford
Test House staff at Siemens Bros. factory, Stafford

Workers at the Test House at Siemens Brothers Dynamo Works, Stafford in about 1905. ...

English Electric Co. Stafford and the Ministry of Supply
English Electric Co. Stafford and the Ministry of Supply

English Electric staff and Ministry of Supply personnel are pictured during a visit ...

The 40 Club Dinner at The English Electric Co. Ltd., Stafford
The 40 Club Dinner at The English Electric Co. Ltd., Stafford

Employees and guests are pictured at the Stafford Works 40 Club Annual Dinner in ...

View Location


Link to this resource

Ordering:Click the button to add the item to your basket. Follow the link for further information on ordering.

Creators: Mr Chris Coates - Contributor

Donor ref:BM-CC-033 (37/32508)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.