Brindley Heath Hospital, Cannock Chase

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1919

Description:Nurses and convalescing soldiers in the snow at Brindley Heath Hospital. The Ministry of Pensions Hospital at Brindley Heath on Cannock Chase. The Military Hospital was built in 1916 to serve both Brocton and Rugeley army training camps. The hospital had twelve wards with a total of one thousand beds and served the camps for the remainder of the war, as well as housing convalescing soldiers from France. It continued to be used until the late 1920s. After this time the buildings were acquired by the Coal Board and they were available to rent for local miners and their families, and so the site became known as 'Brindley Village'.

The 'village' had its own school and working men's club and survived until the early 1950s, when the inhabitants were moved to a new council-built housing estate on the outskirts of Hednesford.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:Brindley Heath Hospital (201/32139)

Source: Staffordshire County Record Office

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.