Blacksmith, Stafford area?

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1904 - 1916 (c.)

Description:A blacksmith shoeing a horse. We do not know where this photograph was taken, but this glass plate was probably taken by Weiss & Fowke of Stafford, so it is likely to have been taken in the Stafford area.

Charles Fowke was based at the Victoria Road studio from about 1904, at first in partnership with Paul Weiss (Wise). The partnership was dissolved in 1916 and Fowke carried on until about 1937. Bertram Sinkinson was a celebrated Stafford photographer, who took over the premises of C.E. Fowke at 15 Victoria Road, Stafford in 1936-7. Sinkinson was later president of the Royal Photographic Society, 1953-1955. He was awarded an OBE in 1957 and was Mayor of Stafford in 1959 and died in 1985.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1900s
Crowds outside the Shire Hall, Stafford
Crowds outside the Shire Hall, Stafford

Photograph from the Bertam Sinkinson collection shows crowds gathered at an unidentified ...

1910s
Guildhall, Market Square, Stafford
Guildhall, Market Square, Stafford

The Guildhall on Market Square, Stafford decorated for Peace Celebrations at the ...

1950s
Philip Shaw & Sons shop, Crabbery Street, Stafford
Philip Shaw & Sons shop, Crabbery Street, Stafford

Philip Shaw and Sons drapers and tailors shop stood on the north side of Crabbery ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:9.4.18278-lr (201/31590)

Source: Staffordshire County Record Office

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.