Sunday School Staff, Longton Central Hall

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1948

Description:A building was erected in Longton for Methodist worship in 1783. Wesley first preached there in the following year in the open air, as the meeting-house was too small to hold the congregation. In 1804 a new chapel was built in what became Chapel Street and was subsequently used both for worship and as a Sunday school. Shortly after the building of Stafford Street Chapel, Chapel Street Chapel was converted into Sunday-school buildings. By 1855 new schools had been built at the rear of Stafford Street Chapel and the old chapel was sold.

From: Victoria County History - A History of the County of Stafford: Volume 8 (1963)

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: Mr Antony Rigby

Donor ref:(55/30310)

Source: Miscellaneous Collection

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.