A Corridor at Beaudesert Hall

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.


Description:Pictured is an original timber-framed passage leading to the Billiard Room. The passage was renovated after the 1909 fire and the old carved oak arch (which did not belong to the house) was added.

Beaudesert Hall was the mansion of the Pagets, Marquesses of Anglesey. Its core was medieval, with later alterations. James Wyatt and Joseph Potter remodelled the interiors of the original Elizabethan House, built by Lord Paget, in a Regency Gothic style early in the 19th century. A century later, this was out of fashion and following a small fire, Beaudesert was completely remodelled by the 6th Marquess of Anglesey during 1909-1912. Lord Anglesey called in Captain Harry Lindsay to replace the Regency work with a series of rooms intended to represent different periods.

In 1920 a year after Country Life took this photograph and two years after the First World War, Lord Anglesey decided that he could not afford to maintain both Beaudesert and Plas Newydd (on Anglesey). Plas Newydd became the family home and principal seat and many of the paintings and much of the furniture were moved to Plas Newydd, with surplus furniture and furnishings sold by auction around 1921. Beaudesert was put up for sale in 1924 and when no purchaser was found it was finally demolished around 1935. Many of the bricks with which Beaudesert was faced were used to replace the bricks polluted by coal smoke at St James’s Palace in London; they were of the similar date as those they replaced. The main staircase, known as the Waterloo staircase, doors, windows and much interior panelling were shipped to Australia and can be seen at a house called Carrick Hill, near Adelaide.

Beaudesert Park is an area of historic parkland, within which are the ruins of Beaudesert Hall, a walled kitchen garden, remains of a stable block, an ice house, ponds and cascades. The parkland is located on the eastern edge of Cannock Chase, an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, and comprises part of the country estate owned by generations of the Paget family between 1546 and 1935. The Beaudesert Trust own and manage Beaudesert Park and welcomes Youth organisations, such as Scouts and Guides, Duke of Edinburgh’s Award, Youth Clubs and Schools, Colleges and University groups. Beaudesert Park is used for various outdoor activities and educational experiences.

Acknowledgement: Thank you to Country Life for providing this image. Please note ‘Copyright Country Life’ – this image may not be used for resale or commercial purposes without Country Life’s express permission.

View Location


Link to this resource

Creators: Country Life - Creator

Donor ref:BM-CL-5477459 (192/30108)

Source: Mr Bob Metcalfe

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.