Airfield building, RAF Perton

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1990 - 2000 (c.)

Description:This tall shed is a survival from the days of RAF Perton during the Second World War. This building was probably originally intended to be a fabric store, a type of store used mainly for the hanging of parachute fabric. The building was eventually used to train navigators and/or bomb-aimers, who would be held in cradles suspended from the roof, from where they would look down upon a rolling map of the parts of Germany they were about to attack, such as Dusseldorf. The building stands by the side of a track which used to lead to the RAF camp at Cranmoor Farm.

Perton Airfield was constructed in 1940 as a Royal Air Force Relief Landing Ground. Later during the Second World War the Princess Irene Brigade of the Dutch Army trained here. In 1947 RAF Perton was given to the Agricultural Land Commission with the Dutch camp becoming a refuge camp for Poles, Latvians and Lithuanians until 1950 when it was converted to housing and occupied until 1962. From 1972 a huge new housing estate was built on the airfield site, now with a population of around 12,000.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: Mrs Ann Sadler

Donor ref:(55/28302)

Source: Miscellaneous Collection

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.