Mr Fred Evans and the English Electric Co., Stafford

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:21st of May 1948

Description:Employees from the Switchgear Works are pictured at a retirement presentation by the Transformer Manufacturing Department. In the centre Mr Fred Evans who has completed 38 years’ service holds a certificate signed by colleagues and nearby there are several gifts including a watch, wallet, cigarette case and three cast iron imitation bowls. The certificate states: “This is to certify that F Evans Esq is a fully qualified Wood Pusher”. Mr Evans began work in 1910 in the days of Siemens and for over 30 years was an Assistant Foreman of 21 Shop.

In the background behind the employees are six Large Power Transformers complete with porcelain Bushings. The English Electric Co.'s Lichfield Road Site in Stafford was renowned for its electrical products including generators, transformers and switchgear.

This image is taken from a glass negative donated to the Staffordshire County Museum by Alstom Power, Lichfield Road, Stafford.

Additional information on the Company: Siemens Brothers purchased the land in 1901 and built the factory and offices which were ready to start production in 1903. In 1918 Siemens merged with several companies, including Dick, Kerr and Co., to become The English Electric Co. Two years later in 1920, The English Electric Co bought the Stafford Works. The English Electric Co. merged with GEC (The General Electric Company) during 1968 and the Lichfield Road Site became part of GEC Power Engineering Ltd. On 22 March 1989 became part of GEC ALSTHOM, an Anglo French Joint Venture. On 22 June 1998 this in turn became part of ALSTOM with global HQ in Paris and on 2 November 2015 the Stafford Grid and Power Businesses became part of GE (General Electric, an American Company).


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1900s
Millwrights at Siemens Bros. factory, Stafford
Millwrights at Siemens Bros. factory, Stafford

Millwrights with a saddle tank locomotive at Siemens Brothers Dynamo Works, Stafford ...

1930s
English Electric Co. Stafford and the Ministry of Supply
English Electric Co. Stafford and the Ministry of Supply

English Electric staff and Ministry of Supply personnel are pictured during a visit ...

1960s
The 40 Club Dinner at The English Electric Co. Ltd., Stafford
The 40 Club Dinner at The English Electric Co. Ltd., Stafford

Employees and guests are pictured at the Stafford Works 40 Club Annual Dinner in ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Ordering:Click the button to add the item to your basket. Follow the link for further information on ordering.

Creators: Mr Andy Ellis, Alstom Power, Stafford - Contributor

Donor ref:AE-13.jpg (37/27599)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.