Annual dinner, English Electric Co., Stafford

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1947 - 1950 (c.)

Description:Pictured are employees with long service attending a dinner in the old Association Hall, at Stychfields on the Lichfield Road site. This image is the second of two views of this dinner, taken at 8.25pm, with an earlier photograph taken at 8.00pm from the opposite end of the room.

In this view the clock on the wall (on the left) shows the time is around 8.25pm. On the tables there are menus, jugs of water, bottles of wine including a South African hock and bottles of Friar Tuck white sweet wine and plates (with EE logo in green on a cream background). The catering staff have served the food and everyone has stopped eating for the photographer to take the picture. There are several plates with food not finished and serving dishes with vegetables still on the tables. On the left is what would be known as the ‘top table’ with Mr Milligan, Works Manager (sitting under the clock, slightly to the right) with senior managers and their spouses. On this table there are vases of iris and on the other table’s vases of daisies.

Over the years the Company name changed several times, from English Electric Co. to GEC, then to GEC ALSTHOM and later to Alstom, however, during all these changes the Company continued to hold annual dinners and dances to mark the occasion for employees with long service (usually in excess of 25 years) and for those who had retired in the previous year.

This image is taken from a glass negative donated to the Staffordshire County Museum by Alstom Power, Lichfield Road, Stafford.

Additional information:
Siemens Brothers purchased the land in 1901 and built the factory and offices which were ready to start production in 1903. In 1918 Siemens merged with several companies, including Dick, Kerr and Co., to become the English Electric Co. Two years later in 1920, The English Electric Co bought the Stafford Works. The English Electric Co merged with GEC (The General Electric Company) during 1968 and the Lichfield Road Site became part of GEC Power Engineering Ltd. On 22 March 1989 became part of GEC ALSTHOM, an Anglo French Joint Venture. On 22 June 1998 became part of ALSTOM with global HQ in Paris and to date (June 2014) continues to be part of the ALSTOM Group.


The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

Millwrights at Siemens Bros. factory, Stafford
Millwrights at Siemens Bros. factory, Stafford

Millwrights with a saddle tank locomotive at Siemens Brothers Dynamo Works, Stafford ...

English Electric Co. Stafford and the Ministry of Supply
English Electric Co. Stafford and the Ministry of Supply

English Electric staff and Ministry of Supply personnel are pictured during a visit ...

Walter Glitheroe, Retirement Presentation, GEC Turbine Generators Ltd., Stafford
Walter Glitheroe, Retirement Presentation, GEC Turbine Generators Ltd., Stafford

This view was taken during the retirement presentation for Walter Glitheroe, Senior ...

View Location


Link to this resource

Ordering:Click the button to add the item to your basket. Follow the link for further information on ordering.

Creators: Mr Andy Ellis, Alstom Power, Stafford - Contributor

Donor ref:AE-32.jpg (37/27500)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.