Rear Yard of the Bear Inn, Stafford,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1966

Description:Rear yard of the Bear Inn on Greengate Street, which included a coach house.

The Bear Inn was built in the seventeenth century Bear Inn on the site of the Old Black Bear Inn; it is possible some of the old building was used in the structure of the present.

In the eighteenth century the inn was known as the White Bear and was one of four coaching inns in Stafford, the other three being The Star and The George on Market Square, and The Swan (opposite The Bear). Only The Bear and The Swan survive to this day.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1780s
Ancient High House, Stafford,
Ancient High House, Stafford,

The High House was built on Greengate Street by Richard Dorrington in 1595. The ...

1850s
Martin Street, Stafford,
Martin Street, Stafford,

Watercolour painting by Great Haywood born sculptor and artist Samuel Peploe Wood ...

1870s
William Marson and Magic Lanterns, Stafford,
William Marson and Magic Lanterns, Stafford,

William Albert Marson held public magic lantern shows featuring his 'dissolving ...

1880s
Martin Street, Stafford,
Martin Street, Stafford,

View looking towards Eastgate Street. In the distance can be seen Eastgate House, ...

1900s
Jolly Bacchus Public House, Stafford,
Jolly Bacchus Public House, Stafford,

The Jolly Bacchus was on Greengate Street, to the right of the Bear Inn. The ...

1920s
Decorated Pram Parade, Stafford,
Decorated Pram Parade, Stafford,

'Baby Day' was organised by the Maternity and Child Welfare Committee of Stafford ...

1940s
Aerial View from St. Mary's Church Tower, Stafford
Aerial View from St. Mary's Church Tower, Stafford

View over Greengate Street and down Martin Street. On the right can be seen the ...

1960s
The Cygnet Folk Club, Stafford,
The Cygnet Folk Club, Stafford,

Cygnet Folk Club was held at the Swan Hotel during the 1960s. It was organised ...

1980s
Cycle road race in Stafford,
Cycle road race in Stafford,

Cyclist M. Downs being interviewed outside the Swan Hotel in Greengate Street before ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:P66.003.1527 (18/2675)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.