Parish chest and font, All Saints' Church, Dilhorne

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1986

Description:The ancient chest, probably medieval, has two padlocks, with evidence that there was at one time a third. This system ensured that all of the keyholders needed to be present to access the contents. The keyholders would usually be the minister and a lay representative or church warden.

The chest would probably have been used to keep church and village records and also other valuable items secure.

The base of the font can be seen in the background.

The Church of All Saints has one of the few octagonal towers in the country. The lower part of the tower is early 13th century and Perpendicular above. the rest of the church is late 13th century, with aisles built in 1819. It was restored in the later 19th century by Ewan Christian.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Education Department , A.V Section - Creator

Donor ref:P2008.001.259(8) (195/26676)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.