Market Square, Stafford

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1950 - 1960 (c.)

Description:There has been a Shire building in Stafford since the 1280s, used as a meeting place for the County Court and later for other civic meetings.

The present building, designed by John Harvey and erected between 1795-98, is the third of its kind on approximately the same site. Building began behind the old Shire Hall so that once the old building was demolished the new one would face onto a large square.

The Shire Hall was vacated by the Crown Court in 1991 and the hall was restored for use as an art gallery. The rear of the building is now the public library, which moved from The Green in 1999.

The bus stop in the foreground was removed when the Market Square and main street were pedestrianised in 1992.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: Mr Bob Metcalfe

Donor ref:BM-05 (192/25877)

Source: Mr Bob Metcalfe

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.