Trent & Mersey Canal, Rugeley

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.


Description:In the background can be seen Stokes' Tannery buildings, at the rear of Bryan's Lane.

There had been a tannery on this site from at least the 18th century. Stokes & Co.’s origins lay with Stephen Stokes and John Negus, a Walsall tannery business founded in 1851. Stokes acquired John Cox’s tannery in Rugeley in 1865. By 1945 the tannery buildings stretched all along Bryans Lane from the canal wharf to Market Street. The wharf buildings were used for storage and drying of hides. Stokes & Co. made a wide variety of high quality leather at their Phoenix Tannery. By 1950 they were dealing with 3,000 hides of leather weekly and employed 140 people. The company went into voluntary liquidation in 1958.

In the early 1960s Lichfield Laundry used the site for a branch laundry. Except for a few at the wharf, the buildings were demolished by 1972 and the site is now occupied by the Fire Station and sheltered housing for old people owned by the Sneyd Trust.

View Location


Link to this resource

Donor ref:Vista 287.jpg (190/25668)

Source: Mr John Fisher

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.