Burton Abbey from the river Trent

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1900 - 1920 (c.)

Description:Lantern slide of the Abbey Inn, Burton upon Trent. Although largely Victorian, this building was converted from the Abbey infirmary, and the north wing dates from the 14th century. It was a private residence until 1910, when it became the clubhouse of the Burton Club. In 1975 it was conveted into a public house, the Abbey Inn.

The Benedictine Abbey of Burton was founded before the year 1000 by Wulfric Spot, Anglo-Saxon Earl of Mercia. He probably chose this site as the shrine of St. Modwen was already here.

The Abbey was dissolved on 14 November 1539. Shortly afterwards, in 1541, the Abbey Church was re-established by the King as a college of canons, but was also dissolved in 1545.

The Abbey Church continued to be used as the parish church until it was demolished 1719-1726. It was replaced by the present church of St. Modwen, built between 1719 and 1728.

Today, some scant remains of the Abbey buildings are contained within the Abbey Inn and the Manor House.

Copyright: Burton Library

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:CBL-060 (187/23869)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.