Holy Trinity Church Interior, Eccleshall,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1930

Description:Entrance to the Bosville Chapel, now called the Lady Chapel, before the alterations of the 1930s.

Holy Trinity Church dates from the twelfth century. The chancel was replaced in the thirteenth century, and in the fifteenth century the tower was raised to its present height and the clerestory added.

Between 1866 and 1869 major internal alterations were carried out. The architect was George Edmund Street. The decayed roof of the north and south aisles was replaced, the north wall was completely rebuilt, the ceiling of the nave was replaced, as were the old box pews and chancel window. The baptistery and choir vestry were also added at this time. The work became a memorial to Bishop Lonsdale who died in 1867, a year after the alterations had begun.

In 1892 a new sculptured reredos, in Staffordshire alabaster and designed by Basil Champneys, was added in memory of Colonel Francis Chambers. In the 1930s the Bosville Chapel was refurbished and the organ was replaced, in memory of Susan Mary Lowe of Sugnall Hall.

The church contains a thirteenth century font, and the sixteenth and seventeenth century tomb chests of the Bishops of Lichfield.

Photograph donated by Stafford Historical and Civic Society, who retain copyright ownership.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1860s
Holy Trinity Church Interior, Eccleshall,
Holy Trinity Church Interior, Eccleshall,

Photograph taken before the 1866 renovations. Holy Trinity Church dates from ...

1900s
Holy Trinity Church Interior, Eccleshall,
Holy Trinity Church Interior, Eccleshall,

Holy Trinity Church dates from the twelfth century. The chancel was replaced in ...

1920s
Dedication of the War Memorial, Eccleshall,
Dedication of the War Memorial, Eccleshall,

Dedication of the First World War memorial in the churchyard of Holy Trinity Church. The ...

1950s
Effigy, Holy Trinity Church, Eccleshall,
Effigy, Holy Trinity Church, Eccleshall,

Effigy of Elias-de-Napton which marked his tomb in 1295 when it was in the south ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: Staffordshire County Records Office

Donor ref:County Record Office No., D4080/12/9, img: 1916 (18/2363)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.