Demolition of the Old Guildhall, Stafford

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:24th of May 1934

Description:The original Guildhall was built in 1853. It housed the Borough Council, the courts and on the ground floor was a police station. By the 1930s a new police station was needed and one was constructed on the corner of Bath Street and Albion Place.

The Guildhall was demolished in 1934 as part of the Borough Council's plans to improve Market Square. The new Guildhall was rebuilt further back from the square and the market was replaced by a shopping arcade.

Photograph donated by Stafford Historical and Civic Society, who retain copyright ownership.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1680s
Old Town Hall, Stafford,
Old Town Hall, Stafford,

There has been a shire building in Stafford since the 1280s, used as a meeting place ...

1790s
Proposed Design for Stafford's Shire Hall,
Proposed Design for Stafford's Shire Hall,

Design for a new Shire Hall on Market Square. In 1790 a decision was made to ...

1840s
Market Square from the South, Stafford,
Market Square from the South, Stafford,

Stafford possessed a market as early as 1206, when Edward the Elder passed a law ...

1860s
Alderman John Marson, Stafford,
Alderman John Marson, Stafford,

Alderman John Marson was Mayor of Stafford in 1848. John Marson also established ...

1880s
Portrait of a Victorian Lady, Stafford,
Portrait of a Victorian Lady, Stafford,

Miniature studio portrait of Susy Macnaghten. She is wearing a ruched velvet ...

1900s
Market Square, Stafford,
Market Square, Stafford,

On the right can be seen the Jubilee Fountain, erected on the Market Square in 1887 ...

1910s
New Zealand Rifle Brigade Parade, Stafford
New Zealand Rifle Brigade Parade, Stafford

At the end of the First World War, when the New Zealand Rifle Brigade left the military ...

1930s
Market Square, Stafford,
Market Square, Stafford,

Stafford had held a weekly market since the Middle Ages. In 1853 a covered market ...

1950s
Market Square, Stafford,
Market Square, Stafford,

The Market Square was laid out with flower beds, trees and seating in 1953 to celebrate ...

1980s
Weights and Measures at Work, Stafford
Weights and Measures at Work, Stafford

Some commodities such as petrol, coal, food and drink are sold by weight, measure ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: Staffordshire County Records Office

Donor ref:County Record Office No., D4080/1/1, img: 1846 (18/2293)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.