Old Bank Building, Stafford,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1948 - 1949 (c.)

Description:One of the first banks to open outside London was Stevenson, Salt and Co. in 1737. The bank was situated on Market Square in what became known as the Old Bank building.

In 1866 the bank became part of Lloyds Bank; Lloyds TSB still use the Old Bank building to this day. The original sign is still visible.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1680s
Old Town Hall, Stafford,
Old Town Hall, Stafford,

There has been a shire building in Stafford since the 1280s, used as a meeting place ...

1790s
Proposed Design for Stafford's Shire Hall,
Proposed Design for Stafford's Shire Hall,

Design for a new Shire Hall on Market Square. In 1790 a decision was made to ...

1840s
Market Square from the South, Stafford,
Market Square from the South, Stafford,

Stafford possessed a market as early as 1206, when Edward the Elder passed a law ...

1860s
Harry Bostock, Stafford,
Harry Bostock, Stafford,

1880s
Elizabethan House, Stafford,
Elizabethan House, Stafford,

The Elizabethan House was built on Gaolgate Street in the late Tudor period. The ...

1900s
General Booth and Mayor William Marson, Stafford,
General Booth and Mayor William Marson, Stafford,

William Booth (1829 - 1912), known as 'General Booth', founded the Christian Mission ...

1920s
Market Street, Stafford,
Market Street, Stafford,

These buildings in Market Street were demolished in the 1960s. The building on ...

1940s
'Steps to Prosperity' Pageant Float, Stafford
'Steps to Prosperity' Pageant Float, Stafford

'Steps to Prosperity' float, encouraging recycling during the post-war period, entered ...

1960s
Aerial View of Stafford from the South-east,
Aerial View of Stafford from the South-east,

View looking north-west from over South Walls and Eastgate Street. The River ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:P98.011.0013 (18/2170)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.