Chell Road Gasometer, Stafford,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1965 - 1975 (c.)

Description:The town's first gas works were built by William Edwards and Co. on this site in 1829. By 1949, when the works were taken over by the West Midland Gas Board, none of the original buildings remained.

The works were cleared in the late 1960s and Sainsbury's supermarket now occupies the site.

The photograph was taken from Bull Hill, with Dotell Street running down to Chell Road (where the cars are parked). The retort house of the gas works is on the right, and the gasometer is behind the Lamb Inn, the white building in the centre.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:SAMS Acc. No., slide no. 53, img: 1655 (18/2104)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.