Tixall Hall and Gate-house,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1831

Description:The Aston family from Haywood acquired the Tixall estate through marriage; the hall was rebuilt in 1555. In 1580 Sir Walter Aston added the gate-house.

Six years later Mary Queen of Scots was imprisoned in the gate-house whilst her apartments at Chartley Castle were searched for evidence of treason.

In 1720 the estate passed to the Clifford family, who rebuilt the hall in 1785 using local stone. In about 1835 the Cliffords sold Tixall to the Earl Talbot of Ingestre.

Tixall Hall was demolished in 1926, the stone was reused in the building of St. John's Church, Stafford. The stables and gate-house remain; today the gate-house can be hired as a holiday home.

The wide expanse of water in the foreground of this image is the Staffordshire & Worcestershire canal. Tixall wides are said to have been cut on the insistence Thomas Clifford. He grudgingly accepted the building of the canal through his land - on condition that a lake was provided to enhance the view from Tixall Hall.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: T. Highham (engraver) - Creator

Donor ref:SAMS Acc. No., G94.326.1, img: 1601 (18/2051)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.