Market Square, Stafford,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1859

Description:Stafford possessed a market as early as 1206, when Edward the Elder passed a law stating that all buying and selling had to take place in a market town.

On the left can be seen the Shire Hall, built in 1798. On the right is the Guildhall, demolished in 1935 and rebuilt further back from the square.

The Russian gun was captured at Sabastopol during the Crimean War. It was later moved to Pitcher Bank and finally to Chester where it can still be seen in Grosvenor Park.

The lady purchasing from the stall is believed to be Sarah Johnson, who lived in one of the almshouses on Mill Street.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1680s
Old Town Hall, Stafford,
Old Town Hall, Stafford,

There has been a shire building in Stafford since the 1280s, used as a meeting place ...

1790s
Proposed Design for Stafford's Shire Hall,
Proposed Design for Stafford's Shire Hall,

Design for a new Shire Hall on Market Square. In 1790 a decision was made to ...

1840s
Market Square from the South, Stafford,
Market Square from the South, Stafford,

Stafford possessed a market as early as 1206, when Edward the Elder passed a law ...

1860s
Alderman John Marson, Stafford,
Alderman John Marson, Stafford,

Alderman John Marson was Mayor of Stafford in 1848. John Marson also established ...

1880s
Portrait of a Victorian Lady, Stafford,
Portrait of a Victorian Lady, Stafford,

Miniature studio portrait of Susy Macnaghten. She is wearing a ruched velvet ...

1890s
Children Celebrating Victoria's Diamond Jubilee, Stafford,
Children Celebrating Victoria's Diamond Jubilee, Stafford,

1910s
Royal Mail Van, Stafford,
Royal Mail Van, Stafford,

Royal Mail van believed to be the first motor driven mail van in Stafford. The ...

1930s
Guildhall, Stafford,
Guildhall, Stafford,

The Guildhall on Market Square was designed by Charles Trubshaw and built in 1853. ...

1950s
Refuse Collection Wagon, Stafford,
Refuse Collection Wagon, Stafford,

Photograph donated by Stafford Historical and Civic Society, who retain copyright ...

1960s
Aerial View of Stafford from the South-east,
Aerial View of Stafford from the South-east,

View looking north-west from over South Walls and Eastgate Street. The River ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Ordering:Click the button to add the item to your basket. Follow the link for further information on ordering.

Donor ref:G95.100.0001 (18/2020)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.