St. Chad's Church, Stafford,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1900 - 1910 (c.)

Description:St. Chad's dates from the Norman period and is one of Stafford's oldest churches. The church was originally built in an open square, but since the seventeenth century it was surrounded by shops and housing, shut away from Greengate Street.

St. Chad's was poor and the building neglected. The old Norman tower had collapsed many years before, replaced by the present tower some time before 1500. In the 1740s the west end also collapsed, so the church was encased in plaster and brickwork, covering the Norman features. The church bells were sold to cover some of the repair costs.

By the mid-nineteenth century St. Chad's was in more regular use. Restoration work carried out in the 1850s revealed much of the original Norman church, and the chancel was restored in the memory of Izaak Walton, who was a benefactor of St. Chad's. The surrounding buildings were removed to provide a view of the restored building.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1780s
Ancient High House, Stafford,
Ancient High House, Stafford,

The High House was built on Greengate Street by Richard Dorrington in 1595. The ...

1850s
Ancient High House, Stafford
Ancient High House, Stafford

The large timber framed building is the Ancient High House on Greengate Street, ...

1880s
Advertisement for Marson's Grocers, High House, Stafford,
Advertisement for Marson's Grocers, High House, Stafford,

Tea wrapper from William Marson's grocery business, established in the High House ...

1900s
Marson's Grocers Shop and Staff, Stafford,
Marson's Grocers Shop and Staff, Stafford,

Marson's staff and Christmas window display. Marson's high class grocer's shop ...

1920s
Woodall's Drapers Shop, Stafford,
Woodall's Drapers Shop, Stafford,

Woodall's shop was at 55 Greengate Street. It closed in the 1970s.

1950s
Dale's Ironmongers Shop Interior, Stafford,
Dale's Ironmongers Shop Interior, Stafford,

Dale's shop was on Greengate Street. The sixteenth century building was first used ...

1970s
St. Mary's Passage, Stafford,
St. Mary's Passage, Stafford,

St. Mary's Passages leads from Greengate into St. Mary's churchyard. On the right ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Ordering:Click the button to add the item to your basket. Follow the link for further information on ordering.

Donor ref:P97.040.0033 (18/1941)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.